Boston - April 25, 2002
When Steffian Bradley Associates, a 100-person Boston- based architecture firm, needed to make some major network changes they called on Miller Systems. Miller Systems worked with SBA to complete a three-pronged project. Major components included:
- Upgrading a three year old Check Point Firewall installation to a current version, on new hardware, with updated security policies.
- Migrating to a new ISP's T1 connection with no downtime
- Configuring a new corporate Virtual Private Network to allow secure remote access
"We could not be happier with Miller Systems' performance on this complex project," said Spencer Warncke, SBA Principal. "Miller Systems' not only has strong technical experience with all the technologies involved, but also an approachable, helpful, and co- operative way of working with our in-house team. They not only made us look good, they gave us valuable information and education to help us manage our network in the future."
Miller Systems worked closely with Steffian Bradley Associates' in-house IT team to complete the project and train their team on key ongoing support issues. When working on projects like this, Miller Systems carefully plans the project details. Some highlights of this project included:
- Configuring and testing the Check Point firewall with a complex, three subnet configuration
- Migrating the original Check Point Fire Wall-1 4.0 Security policy to Check Point VPN-1.
- Working with SBA interactively to review existing policies and suggest modifications for greater security and flexibility.
- Modifying Cisco routing equipment configurations to support the routing needed for the Check Point implementation.
- Loaning SBA a Cisco router, Miller Systems configured it to validate and use SBA's new ISP connection without any interruption in current services
- Re-configuring SBA's additional router after testing phase to allow for a quick, after hours, no downtime switch to new ISP
- Assisting SBA in questions related to DNS migration as they moved DNS hosting from their old provider to new ISP
- Using equipment to simulate the telecommuting scenarios of SBA staff, allowing configuration and testing of a complex VPN solution in real-world conditions.
- Delivering concise, personal training to SBA systems administrators on how to configure client systems and accounts for VPN access.
"These projects are all about managing the myriad details," said Dan Blumenthal, VP of IT Consulting at Miller Systems. "We've been working with Check Point and Cisco products for years, and understand the requirements of architecture and other service firms of this size, so even though the network details may be new, the technologies and overall business environment are very familiar." Miller Systems has worked with multiple architecture firms over the years including Boston-area firms Goody Clancy, Koetter Kim, and the Boston Society of Architects.
"Miller Systems is a terrific partner, " said Warncke. "On a follow-up project we had a new server fail on us. Miller Systems' team stayed with us through the night to work out an interim solution while we waited for a replacement part. A situation that could have impacted our entire company had no adverse effects thanks to Dan and his team. It's good to know we can rely on support like that."
About Miller Systems
Miller Systems provides a unique blend of design, development, and IT services that support clients’ strategic business objectives and deliver significant return on investment. The company’s holistic approach and integrated offerings allow the company to cross traditional boundaries and provide expertise and accountability during the entire lifecycle of interactive and IT consulting engagements. Founded in 1995, Miller Systems has delivered expert strategic counsel and efficient tactical solutions for such companies as Sycamore Networks, State Street Bank, IDG/Computerworld, Lotus Development Corporation, Progress Software, Brix Networks, The MacManus Group, and the Boston Society of Architects. For more information please call 617-266-4200.